Week 35 – Clinical – Woodhull Hospital

Date: 8/31/18                           Rotation: Clinical            Location: Woodhull Hospital

Activities / Assignments:

• Patient risk screenings
  • Patient assessments
  • Patient re-assessments
  • Patient follow-ups
  • Patient education – verbal and with written materials from the AND nutrition care manual
  • Documented assessments/re-assessments/food preferences in Quadramed and CBORD
  • Recommended diets and supplements (and changes to either) to doctors
  • Attended patient rounds
  • Dietitian weekly huddle
  • Nutrition support – calculated enteral nutrition needs and goal rate for NGT

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned / Challenges: On Monday, I was assigned to the cardiology medical/surgical and psych floors. For the rest of the week, I was on the ICU, pediatric, and psych floors. I had the opportunity to observe the dietitians perform the NCP for multiple patients, and I also had the opportunity to do it myself, both with her shadowing me and on my own. I provided nutrition education to patients about the diets they were currently prescribed – explained why they were on a certain diet and if I was going to recommend the doctor prescribe a different one. I provided verbal education using the teach-back method and written materials to reinforce it. Both verbal and written education was provided in the patients preferred language. If their preferred language was not English, either an in-person translator or the translator phone was used to communicate with the patient. I performed patient charting for patients I saw as well as the patients I observed with my preceptor. I worked with more patients receiving enteral nutrition support via NGTs. I again recommended appropriate formulas and calculated/recommended the appropriate goal rates to meet their nutritional needs. I also attended the weekly full-team rounds for the cardiology medical/surgical unit and the pediatric unit. During this time, the doctors and nurses went over each patient’s condition and status, social workers went over discharge plans/issues that need to be resolved, and the dietitian gave updates on needed changes to prescribed diets/supplements.

I also attended the weekly dietitian’s huddle where “Health and Safety Weekly Message” topic, “Food Safety Weekly Message” topic, and customer service improvement topics were discussed.

Learning Objectives Met: CRDN 1.1, CRDN 2.1, CRDN 2.3, CRDN 2.4, CRDN 2.5, CRDN 2.10, CRDN 3.1, CRDN 3.3, CRDN 3.6, CRDN 3.8, CRDN 4.10

Clock Hours: 40 Hours

• Monday 8/27/18 → 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM (8 hours) – Cardiology Med/Surg/Psych w/ Dorcas Adegbola
  • Tuesday 8/28/18 → 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (8 hours) – ICU/Pediatrics/Psych w/ Benzy Jacob
  • Wednesday 8/29/18 → 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (8 hours) – ICU/Pediatrics/Psych w/ Benzy Jacob
  • Thursday 8/30/18 → 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (8 hours) – ICU/Pediatrics/Psych w/ Benzy Jacob
  • Friday 8/31/18 → 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM (8 hours) – ICU/Pediatrics/Psych w/ Benzy Jacob