Restaurant Review

1932 Jericho Turnpike, East Northport, NY 11731; (631) 486-8900; mikojapanese@yahoo.com; http://www.mikojapanese.com; http://www.mikojapanese.com/menu/

Miko is primarily a sit-down, hibachi table show restaurant. They also have regular sit-down dining, which they refer to as their “Fine Sushi Dining” area, and a bar to sit at. While take-out is available, most people eat at the restaurant. The ambiance of the restaurant is really nice. They just opened a few years ago, so everything is new, and from what I saw they are working to make sure it looks that way for a long time.  Entrees range from $15.00 to $42.00, but the portions are relatively large and you get soup and salad for no additional cost. It certainly is not a cheap dinner, but you definitely get your money’s worth.

Best bets as far as the most nutritious things on their menu includes:

• Avocado salad, seaweed salad, green salad, roasted duck salad
  • Miso soup, mushroom soup
  • Sushi a la carte
  • Raw/cooked/vegetarian classic rolls – tuna, salmon, tuna avocado, tuna cucumber, yellowtail jalapeno, yellowtail scallion, salmon cucumber, salmon avocado, rainbow roll, California, eel avocado, shrimp mango, shrimp avocado, shrimp cucumber, king crab avocado, avocado, cucumber, peanut avocado – and any of these can be ordered Naruto (wrapped in cucumber instead of white rice), or with brown rice!
  • White fish
  • Shellfish
  • Roe

I think no matter what kind of dietary restriction someone had, they would be able to eat here. Most of the dishes are seafood or vegetable based, so they could easily be ordered steamed and without sauce. For example, someone with diabetes can order the Grilled Chilean sea bass entrée with steamed brown rice. A person following a low sodium diet could order the same thing and ask for it to be cooked without the ginger soy sauce. They even offer organicchicken for people trying to eat mostly organic meat.

I had the hibachi short ribs with hibachi noodles. My meal also came with a mushroom soup, a green salad, hibachi vegetables, and a shrimp appetizer. I would give three stars to everything except the vegetables, which I would give a 1. They were extremely soggy and I personally did not enjoy them. Everything else was excellent, and I would absolutely recommend this restaurant. I also felt that it was an extremely reasonable price. It cost $22.00 before tax, and I had plenty of leftovers. My number one recommendation to anyone coming to this restaurant is: Come hungry!

CRDN 2.2: Demonstrate professional writing skills in preparing professional communications, CRDN 3.10: Develop and evaluate recipes, formulas and menus for acceptability and affordability that accommodate the cultural diversity and health needs of various populations, groups and individuals, CRDN 3.7: Develop and deliver products, programs or services that promote consumer health, wellness and lifestyle management