Week 1 – Community/Public Health Elective

Date: 9/15/17                       Rotation: Community/Public Health Elective                  Location: BronxWorks

Activities / Assignments:

• HIV Confidentiality Training
  • Distributed lunch and metro cards
  • Observed client intakes
  • Overview of HIV Infection and AIDS online learning
  • Observed client  reassessments
  • Filed reassessments on E-share and in client binder
  • Developed handouts for the functional foods available to clients
  • Read MAC AIDs Grant Proposal
  • Performed client reassessment

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned / Challenges: This was my first week of the internship and I feel like I’ve already learned a lot. I completed two trainings regarding HIV – one related to confidentiality and the other was a general overview about the disease (how it is contracted, treated, and the different risks associated with it). BronxWorks provides lunch and dinner to eligible clients Monday through Friday, and they also provide one trip metro cards. I helped serve lunch and pass out the metro cards each day. This gave me the opportunity to learn the client’s names better and match signatures to each client. Each lunch consists of whole grains, lean proteins, a serving of vegetables, and a serving of fruit. Clients have the opportunities to have a second serving of lunch if there is extra available (CRDN 3.7).

I also had the opportunity to observe two client intakes. One client was recommended by a friend who was in the program, and my preceptor determined that she was not eligible for the Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) but that she would benefit from health services with another department here, and so we referred her to the HIV/AIDS Case Management and Health Education Services Program. The other client had previously been enrolled in BronxWorks FNS but their eligibility had expired due to lack of follow-up, so they were simply re-enrolled in the program.  

In addition to client intakes, I also observed three client reassessments. I completed the paperwork for the second and third client. This included completing the client goals, the progress note summarizing what was discussed during the reassessment, determining the client’s %IBW, % weight change (significant/nonsignificant), and documenting the services delivered in E-share.

On Friday I conducted my first client reassessment. This includes updating the clients’ eligibility by collecting necessary documents, completing the e-share reassessment and the FNS Program reassessment form, and developing a nutritional care plan by using the information gathered during the counseling session to develop goals for the client. I then completed the paperwork necessary to document the services delivered to the client.  I felt shaky in the beginning, especially when I first started asking the E-share questions, but I got a little bit more comfortable as the counseling session moved forward. Afterwards I asked my preceptor for feedback, and she told me that one thing she noticed was that I focused a lot on the science when talking about how the client should increase his omega-3 intake in order to help with his elevated triglyceride levels. And next time I should focus more on the specific foods, and simplify my explanations about the benefits in order for the client to better understand (CRDN 3.6, CRDN 3.8).

One of the grants that BronxWorks has is the MAC AIDs Grant. Under the MAC AIDs grant, BronxWorks is able to provide certain functional foods to eligible clients. I had the opportunity to read over the grant proposal in order to better understand what the grant is for and how it helps the clients. I developed handouts for the functional foods that BronxWorks provides. These handouts explain the health benefits of the different foods, how to incorporate the food into your diet, and finally a recipe that uses the ingredient. I created 4 different handouts – Cinnamon Powder, Turmeric Powder, Dried Mint & Chamomile, and Garlic Powder & Onion Powder (CRDN 3.5; CRDN 4.4). I created these Wednesday morning, and we began providing the handouts with the functional foods that afternoon.

Learning Objectives Met: CRDN 3.5, CRDN 3.6, CRDN 3.7, CRDN 3.8, CRDN 4.4

Clock Hours: 36 Hours

• Monday 9/11/17 10:30 AM – 4:30 PM (6 hours)
  • Tuesday 9/12/17 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM (7.5 hours)
  • Wednesday 9/13/17 10:30 AM – 5:30 PM (7 hours)
  • Thursday 9/14/17 10:00 AM – 5:30 PM (7.5 hours)
  • Friday 9/15/17 → 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM (8 hours)