Week 19 – Food Service

Date: 1/19/18                            Rotation: Food Service                 Location: Food Services Group

Activities / Assignments:

• Child and Adult Food Care Program (CACFP) Guidelines Assignment
  • Observed food production in kitchen at the Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Served breakfast and lunch at the Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Helped clean after lunch at the Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Recorded daily food use at the Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Recorded food temperatures at the Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Observed receiving and storage of food orders at the Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Began filling out Food Production Records for December 2017 and January 2018 for the Bellevue Hospital Day Care Center
  • Outlined plan for my service improvement project – tray waste audit at the Hudson Guild Senior Center

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned / Challenges: Since Monday was a holiday, I worked from home on an assignment about the Child and Adult Food Care Program (CACFP) guidelines. I knew food standards for children were very strict, but I didn’t realize the extent, and I also didn’t realize how strict adult food standards are. It seems like it can wind up being pretty tricky to navigate these guidelines when you take into account budgeting, seasonal availability of foods, diversity of the menu, etc. But I felt it was a good way to begin my food service rotation because it gave me a more in depth look into some of the work I am going to be doing moving forward.

The rest of the week I helped and observed in the kitchen and during breakfast and lunch at the Hudson Guild Senior Center. My main responsibilities included serving breakfast and lunch, recording the daily food use and food temperatures, observing the receiving and storage of food orders, and observing food production. I was mainly observing because my preceptor felt it was important to become familiar with the facilities and their procedures before contributing.

I also began working on completing the December 2017 and January 2018 Food Production Records for a different FSG site. This site is the Bellevue Hospital Day Care Center, and I felt so challenged and frustrated by these production records. I was not able to complete them this first week, so I will be working on completing them in the upcoming weeks, and I hope that I become more proficient as I move forward, because right now they are extremely confusing.

I also began outlining a plan for my service improvement project. I decided that I want to do a tray waste audit at the Hudson Guild Senior Center. I noticed that every tray gets a plastic fork, knife, and spoon, and I also noticed that not every utensil is used by every person, and the spoon is often only used to stir their coffee. So my plan is to conduct a tray waste audit to see exactly how much is wasted on a daily basis.

Learning Objectives Met: CRDN 2.3, CRDN 2.4, CRDN 2.10, CRDN 3.7, CRDN 4.2

Clock Hours: 40 Hours

• Monday 1/15/18 → 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (8 hours) – Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Tuesday 1/16/18 → 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (8 hours) – Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Wednesday 1/17/18 → 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (8 hours) – Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Thursday 1/18/18 → 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (8 hours) – Hudson Guild Senior Center
  • Friday 1/18/18 → 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM (8 hours) – Hudson Guild Senior Center