Week 11 – Community/Public Health Elective

Date: 11/22/17                    Rotation: Community/Public Health Elective                  Location: BronxWorks

Activities / Assignments:

• Distributed lunch and metro cards
  • Tracked group activities in e-share – lunch/dinner
  • Reassessments
  • Finished reading “Random Family”
  • Monthly Report

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned / Challenges: I struggled to meet my goals for the month of November because I was only there for about 2 1/2 weeks, but I was able to schedule enough appointments to hit all of my goals. I definitely learned a lot from this rotation and I feel like I got a wide variety of experience. There was counseling, reading labs, developing educational materials, leading nutrition groups, and providing meals either through lunch and dinner or through pantry. I developed a good relationship with a lot of the clients, as well as the other interns and staff members at the site, and I feel that I developed a really good relationship with my preceptor. I am walking away from this rotation with a much better understanding of what a community program is, how it works, how rewarding it can be, and also the struggles. There is not always enough funding and even though you are providing resources for a healthier life for the clients, the rest of the community is not necessarily following your lead. I will definitely use the skills I have developed here in my future as an RD.

Learning Objectives Met: CRDN 2.11, CRDN 3.3, CRDN 3.4, CRDN 3.6, CRDN 3.8, CRDN 4.1, CRDN 4.9

Clock Hours: 24 Hours

• Monday 11/20/17 → 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM (8 hours)
  • Tuesday 11/21/17 → 9:30 PM – 5:30 PM (8 hours)
  • Wednesday 11/22/17 → 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM (8 hours)