Week 2 – Community/Public Health Elective

Date: 9/22/17                       Rotation: Community/Public Health Elective                  Location: BronxWorks

Activities / Assignments:

• Distributed lunch and metro cards
  • Client reassessments
  • Counseling with supplements
  • Farmer’s market
  • Tracked group activities in e-share – lunch/dinner/farmers market
  • Developed lesson plan about sugar
  • Pantry
  • Proposed and implemented the usage of excess fruit from pantry for infused water provided to clients at lunch and dinner

Comments / Thoughts / What You Learned / Challenges: This week I felt a lot more confident conducting client reassessments. Asking the clients the required questions felt more natural and I felt more confident giving nutrition advice. Some feedback I received at the beginning of the week from my preceptor is that I need to let the client set their own goals, instead of me just giving them the answers. I worked on that in the next few assessments I conducted by asking them what kind of nutrition goals they wanted to set for themselves, and I saw how much of a difference this makes. Instead of me telling them the answer and them just nodding along, the clients were engaged with the goals they were setting and coming up with part of the solution for how they could achieve them.

Counseling with supplements was a different challenge from reassessments. Instead of having a series of questions to ask and certain forms to fill, it’s basically just checking in with the client to see if they had any significant weight change, and determining if they’re eating enough. I found it challenging to start the conversation and to find what kind of nutrition goals to set. I look forward to performing this type of counseling more frequently in the coming weeks so I can improve my ability to counsel without a specific guideline to follow.

On Thursday we took a group of 6 clients to a nearby farmer’s market and did a small recipe challenge with them. They had to solve a riddle and find the ingredients for a recipe and then use the ingredients to determine that the recipe was for sofrito. It was fun to see how into the challenge the clients got, and the winner got an extra $2 of health bucks! Afterwards the clients took the $6 health bucks they got and went shopping at the farmers market, and they all purchased various fruits and vegetables. So it was a really great way to interact with them outside of the office while also helping them eat better.

Friday was pantry, which is when the clients come and basically get to do a mini grocery shop. It is a long and tiring process, especially the morning pantry. I helped to set up by unpacking the various foods available and arranging them in a way that they’re easy to grab so we can bring clients through seamlessly.

Learning Objectives Met: CRDN 2.11, CRDN 3.3, CRDN 3.4, CRDN 3.5, CRDN 3.6, CRDN 3.7, CRDN 3.8, CRDN 4.6

Clock Hours: 37 Hours

• Monday 9/18/17 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM (8 hours)
  • Tuesday 9/19/17 9:45 AM – 5:45 PM (8 hours)
  • Wednesday 9/20/17 9:45 AM – 5:45 PM (8 hours)
  • Thursday 9/21/17 9:30 AM – 5:30 PM (8 hours)
  • Friday 9/22/17 9:15 AM – 2:15 PM (5 hours)